Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The "I" affecting the "We"

If we take the attitude that everyone we meet along our journey is a teacher then we may perhaps begin to understand that it is through relationships that life finds its meaningfulness. With this concept in mind it is possible that through our relationships, we become closer to the Universe.

Think in terms of Microcosm (You) affecting the Macrocosm (Humanity and the Universe) as it is in all of us and we are a part of it.
Although I have for a large part unknowingly practiced a form of solitude, through a self imposed exile away from friends and family it may sound contradictory, but in fact it's not as its without having experienced this solitude I may not have truly begun to understand and appreciate who I am and all my flaws for they too are an important part of me. One of my close Brethren always reminds me my only one true enemy is my ego (Thats giving it a Kabbalic slant). But, first we need to really know ourselves so that we can recognise the many manifestations of the ego so we can bypass the obstacles that are placed in front of us.

When my close friend Noor made me aware of a concept described by Shams-i Tabrizi the man who led Rumi to become a Sufi poet
It is through solitude you know yourself, but eventually it is best to find a person, the person who will be your mirror.

The I as in We and the you as in I.

"Only in another person's heart can you truely see yourself and the presence of God within you."

This of course has had its benefits in so much as my view of the Universe has been nurtured, expanded and helped in making my reflections and contemplation far more wider and reaching perhaps even giving them more depth.

But, through this I am left in a predicament of sorts as the ego rears its ugly head and then it becomes difficult to let people into my space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Just passing through and enjoying life. I use this blog to keep hold of my thoughts & opinions. In general anything that interest me.