Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Harran & the Temple of Sin

I was supposed to visit Antioch & Syria today.....but read a book telling me about Harran a very ancient Assyrian city which was the place in which Abraham lived before he reached Canaan.
The city was the chief home of the Mesopotamian moon god Sin, under the Assyrians Babylonians/Chaldeans and even into Roman times.

It's about 18km from the border with Syria & Şanlıurfa, the former Edessa,

It is said that Adam and Eve set foot in Harran after they were expelled from the Garden of Eden.

The Book of Genesis identifies a place called Harran where Terah and his son Abram (Abraham), grandson Lot, and Abram's wife Sarai halted on their way from Ur of the Chaldees to Canaan.

in 331 BC, the soldiers of the Macedonian conqueror Alexander the Great entered the city.

The emperor Caracalla was also murdered here.....so with all that history I had to visit it!!

St George & the Reggae boys from Europe to Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Just passing through and enjoying life. I use this blog to keep hold of my thoughts & opinions. In general anything that interest me.