Friday, February 26, 2010

Paris to Zurich Alsace region

The train runs through Alsace & the Massif central so today I saw lots of great rolling plains of green fields & snow capped mountains rising dramatically in the distance I'm really looking forward to the journey to Italy through the Alps tomorrow - I was lucky as it was very sunny although it rained heavily in Zurich this afternoon - I even saw a rainbow which was a nice touch;-) it made me feel I have made the right decision in doing this journey by train.

My own knowledge of the area relates to the Alemanni who fought a Battle of Argentoratum against Rome in 357 (it was called Argentina by the Romans). They were defeated by Julian, later Emperor of Rome, and their king was taken prisoner. On 2 January 366 the Alemanni crossed the frozen Rhine in large numbers, to invade the Roman Empire. Early in the fifth century the Alemanni appear to have crossed the Rhine, conquered, and then settled what is today Alsace and a large part of Switzerland.




- Posted on the fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Just passing through and enjoying life. I use this blog to keep hold of my thoughts & opinions. In general anything that interest me.